Conference on Christian Mission & Religious PluralismCONFERENCE ON CHRISTIAN MISSION AND RELIGIOUS PLURALISM (CCMRP) 2017
The Conference on Christian Mission and Religious Pluralism (CCMRP) was held at the Presbyterian Women’s Centre in Abokobi from 8th to 10th March 2017 under the theme “Christian Mission & Spirituality in a Multi-Religious World”. The opening session was just before supper on the Wednesday whereas the closing session ended by lunch time on the Friday.
There were a total of fifty-one (51) participants from the various Presbyteries of the PCG and two other Churches. The PCG Ministers who took part in the Conference were largely Directors of Missions and Evangelism and Ecumenical and Social Relations as well as Coordinators of the Northern Outreach Ministry (NOM). Most of the participants were however from the Ga and Ga-West Presbyteries whereas one participant was from the Methodist Church and another from the Global Evangelical Church. Thirty-five (35) of the participants were Ministers whereas sixteen (16) were Lay leaders.
In addition to the keynote address, there were four (4) plenary presentations from seasoned Christian Theologians, most of who were Ministers of the PCG as well. Additionally, there were group discussions on issues raised by the presenters.
The respective speakers and their topics were as follows:
1. Christian Mission & Spirituality in a Multi-Religious World (Keynote Address)
Rev. Dr. B. Y. Quarshie (Rector, Akrofi-Christaller Institute of Theology, Mission & Culture, Akropong-Akuapem)
2. Gospel & Culture Engagement: Contemporary Challenges to Christian Witness in a Multi-Religious World - Prof. Allison M. Howell (Dean of Research, Akrofi-Christaller Institute of Theology, Mission & Culture)
3. Spirituality in Primal Religions, Christianity & Islam
Rev. Prof. John Azumah (Director of International Programmes, Columbia Theological Seminary, USA)
4. Christian Mission as Translation: The Mother-tongue Scripture as Expression of Spirituality - Rev. Prof. Philip Laryea (Dean of Accredited Studies, Akrofi-Christaller Institute of Theology, Mission & Culture)
5. Christian Identity in a Multi-Religious World - Rev. Dr. Abamfo Atiemo (Senior Lecturer, Department for the Study of Religions, University of Ghana) Updated:
24th January 2018